As winter testing continues at Circuit de Catalunya in Spain today, Felipe Massa again set the fastest time of 1m16.403s, shaving 0.7s from his yesterdays best. Main test driver for Ferrari – Luca Badoer managed third quickest in a session that was interrupted by rain. Nick Heidfeld impressed in the BMW managing a time only 0.7s adrift from the lead Ferrari.
Pedro De La Rosa and Lewis Hamilton will have an interesting day on Thursday when former McLaren driver a double world champion Mika Hakkinen will drive around the circuit, having recently been appointed an advisory role at the Woking-based team. Pedro finished the day in fourth, while Lewis tailed in sixth, but only 0.2s shy of Pedro’s lap.
Other debutees included Klien for Honda, veteran Olivier Panis and young charger Kamui Kobayashi for Toyota, who completed 81 laps while he acclimatised to Formula One. Anthony Davidson managed a lap time just 0.4s down on Rubens Barrichello, Davidson in the interim Super Aguri, and Barrichello in the Honda.
1. Massa – Ferrari – 1m16.403s
2. Heidfeld – BMW – 1m17.159s
3. Badoer – Ferrari – 1m17.447s
4. De La Rosa – McLaren – 1m17.584s
5. Panis – Toyota – 1m17.643s
6. Hamilton – McLaren – 1m17.748s
7. Barrichello – Honda – 1m17.992s
8. Webber – Red Bull – 1m18.249s
9. Piquet Jnr – Renault – 1m18.312s
10. Davidson – Super Aguri – 1m18.374s
11. Klien – Honda – 1m18.383s
12. Coulthard – Red Bull – 1m18.526s
13. Kovalainen – Renault – 1m18.775s
14. Kubica – BMW – 1m18.778s
15. Wurz – Williams – 1m19.009s
16. Speed – Toro Rosso – 1m19.114s
17. Liuzzi – Toro Rosso – 1m19.277s
18. Kobayashi – Toyota – 1m20.731s